Friday, February 12, 2010

Why Building from the Net Out is a Horrible Idea II: The Reckoning

So, my first serious post was not enjoyed... I sort of saw that coming. Mostly because I'm not a particularly smart individual. However, one thing that I am is stubborn and as it were, I'm here to defend my terrible ideas... Partly because I'm as stubborn as a mule, partly because I really do believe that the return one gets comparatively from a forward is greater than the comparative return from a goalie.

The major knock in my analysis is that I'd compared the in game impact of one individual to a group of twenty. Please understand that that was, in no way, the case. In fact, I agree: the goalie is the single most important player on a team. That is not what I am arguing. What I am arguing is that there is so much parity between goalies, that all starters are so good at the NHL level, that their relative impact from one to another is somewhat negligible.

Moreover, this allows me to compare the impact of one forward to one goalie and their comparative impact on the game.

The league leader in GAA is Annti Niemi (his gaa is skewed by a great defense, mind you) and sits at 1.98. The average GAA is 2.64. This accounts for a difference of.66 goals per game. Projected over a 82 game season this translates to 54 goals.

The league leader in goals is Alex Ovechkin with 42 goals, the average is 7 (his point totals provide an even larger difference compared to the average-89 to 17). This is a 35 goal difference after 53 games. Coincidentally, this translates to a goal differential (when compared to the average) of .66.

So right there, we are comparing the impact of two singular players, fully neglecting the impact AO has on his linemates (and his 40+ assists). More importantly, a star's presence provides a ripple effect for all of his teammates. The quality of opposition falls for all other lines. This is evidenced by Mike Knubles jump in point scoring despite his age

By the way, Aaron Asham recently scored his 7th goal of the year.... Who falls on the average for GAA and SV% respectively? Marc Andre Fleury and Marty Turco... Just some food for thought about comparative impact

No comments:

Post a Comment